Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- For morning sedation appointments (beginning at 8:15 am- unless otherwise specified), you cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before (including water)
- For afternoon sedation appointments (beginning at 1:15 pm- unless otherwise specified), you cannot have anything to eat or drink after 8:00 am that morning (including water). We recommend a light breakfast at 7:30 am with no caffeine.
- If you have a cold (especially a chest cold), cough, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office as soon as possible (prior to surgery).
- We ask that you do not smoke at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- If you are taking any medications, ensure that the doctor who is performing your surgery is aware prior to the surgery (at the consultation if possible).
- Someone must come with you for your appointment to remain with you in the recovery room and drive you home or accompany you home in a taxi afterwards, and remain with you for the rest of the day.
- If you wear contact lenses, we ask that you do not wear them the day of the appointment and wear your glasses instead.
- Jewelry and dentures should be removed prior to surgery as well.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing, shirts with short sleeves or sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow.
- Afterwards, there is no driving or operating any machinery for 24 hours. There is no smoking or drinking alcohol for 24 hours after, and no strenuous sports activities or exercises for 5-7 days.
- Please ensure that you have ice packs and cold soft foods ready at home after the procedure. Examples of cold foods would be pudding, Jell-O, applesauce, yogurt, and ice cream.
- Do not use a straw after extractions are performed.
Connect With Us!